UNSW School of Banking and Finance offers a diverse range of courses in the fields of Finance, including Banking, Corporate Finance, Investment Management, International Finance, Financial Analysis, Risk Management and Insurance. As the largest finance school in Australia, we cultivate an enthusiastic and exciting research and teaching culture and maintain close ties with industry, both in Australia and internationally.
Industry Associations & Accreditations
The school of Banking and Finance offers courses that are accredited with the Australian Securities and Investments Commision (ASIC) and the Financial Planning Association. The courses we offer meet the training requirement in ASIC's Regulatory Guide 146 (RG146) Our accreditation with ASIC and the Financial Planning Association ensure our graduates find employment and achieve Certified Financial Planner (CFP) status.
Our students are offered tutoring and Peer Assisted Support Scheme leader opportunities annually. Applications open in November and successful applicants are supported with relevant training.
Banking and Finance are unique within business. It combines rigorous research with a practical mathematical foundation. By studying Finance, you become part of an ever-changing, fascinating field that can profoundly impact the way we live.
At UNSW School of Banking and Finance, our course instruction reflects an important mix of theory and practice, with a growing emphasis on computer applications in the computing laboratory. UNSW Business School is Australia’s top ranked school in research and our members conduct research over a wide range of topics.
At UNSW, a student may specialise in Finance or combine Finance with other disciplines in the Business School, Mathematics, Law, Arts, Science, Social Science or Engineering. A Banking and Finance qualification can take you anywhere. Perhaps you’ll enjoy a challenging and vibrant career with the world’s biggest businesses or achieve academic success.
What do our Banking & Finance Courses Cover?
Our cutting-edge courses cement us as the leading finance school in Australia.
You’ll learn about:
- How organisations make financial policies and decisions. This can involve capital structure, investments, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, security issuance, dividends and ownership structure
- What organisations can do to benefit their shareholders
- How security prices evolve and are determined
- How prices are determined in equilibrium
- The ways rational agents attempting arbitrage can link prices in different markets
- How market makers in exchanges match buyers and sellers (market microstructure)
- How agents use financial information to trade and how this enters the pricing mechanisms
- The ways intermediaries (such as money managers and hedge funds) affect markets and prices
- Whether observed prices and investment decisions can be rationalised by models of optimising agents
Banking & Finance iLab
Launched in 2019, our world-class interactive learning laboratory (iLab) provides a learning environment consisting of both a physical space and data platform that helps students learn how theory should be applied in practice. Serving as a true pedagogical resource, the iLab complements courses by providing for group-based, flipped learning activities. These activities integrate live financial data, allowing students time to explore markets in real time.
Activities are designed to provide students with tangible, marketable skills and familiarity with industry standard software packages. This state-of-the-art offering helps increase our students’ employability by equipping them with the skills needed for tomorrow’s challenges.