A Co-op Scholarship degree is a scholarship program that combines a single degree alongside multiple relevant industry placements (15-18 months in total). At UNSW School of Risk and Actuarial Studies, we offer the Bachelor of Actuarial Studies (Co-op), which allows you to apply your university skills and knowledge from the onset of your career.
Together with major employers in the financial services industry, we have developed undergraduate education which is:
- Targeted at high-achieving school leavers, who are selected based on their character, motivation and leadership potential, as well as their academic achievement
- Offers an integrated sequence of academic studies and industrial training, which is jointly designed and overseen by university academics and employers
- Requires students to work with different industry sponsors
- Provides a tax-free scholarship, which helps to serve as a living allowance during both the academic and industry phases of the program
- A four-year degree, including a major in Actuarial Studies
- Industrial training with sponsoring organisations
- Majors or minors in other commerce disciplines
- Covers the new actuarial professional syllabus
After graduation there is no formal obligation for Co-op scholars to seek employment with any of the sponsoring companies.
Likewise, there is no obligation for sponsoring companies to offer employment. However, employers recognise that the scholarship is designed to produce the kind of graduates they are keen to attract for challenging positions in their organisations. It is expected that students will initially consider employment with a sponsor organisation.
Each industry training placement is designed as a structured learning experience, which also complements academic studies. As a result, learning within academic studies should be accelerated and theoretical subjects will be enhanced with practical insights.
The industry training placements are designed and monitored by university and employer committees. During the training placements, students are expected to conform to professional standards of performance, dress and business hours.
Students can expect to work for three different business sponsors in the industry training placements. Contact with all sponsors of the Co-op course will be possible over the four-year program through company visits, guest lectures and social events.