For the first part of our research, we use innovative artificial intelligence techniques to interpret well logs, seismic attributes and borehole images. This is then used to create and generate ¾-D petrophysical properties, including gas content, porosity, permeability, cleat and fracture properties
Our research is also focused on carrying out preferential adsorption- desorption process of multi-components. This includes CO2, CH4, ethane and moisture at various temperatures and pressure using molecular dynamic simulation techniques.
We calibrate our numerical parameters by conducting specially designed HP-HT cell for analysing adsorption-desorption of multiple components by neutron scattering. Results of this study assist us in optimising injection parameters of CO2 for enhanced production of CH4 and sequestration. The findings also help us improve the storage of CO2 in coal beds that are characterised as CSG as well as unmineable coal beds.
- Enhanced Clean Energy Production and abatement of greenhouse gas
- Improved understanding of competitive adsorption desorption-desorption process of CH4, CO2 and other gases in coals with different characteristic properties at different temperature and pressure.
- Capability of multi-physics-based upscaling of multi-component gas adsorption desorption and its effect on fluid flow in coal from microscopic slit to laboratory core scale and then to field scale.
- Prediction of gas production potential and quantitative assessment of greenhouse gas storage indifferent coal types.
Recent Research Projects
- AI aided characterisation of CSG for identifying sweet spots.
- Micro- to macroscale characterization and flow simulation in coal seams and prediction production capability of different types of coals.
- Competitive adsorption-desorption of different gases at different ambient conditions and estimation of optimum conditions for retention of CO2 in coals.
- Development and implementation of hydraulic fracture treatments for improving gas production from coal seams.
- Multi-component of adsorption-desorption of gases in coals estimation of retention of CO2 in Bokaro coal beds at ambient conditions.
- Flow simulation in cleats and estimation of enhanced production potential methane and storage capacity of CO2 of different coal types.
- Hydraulic fracture treatment design to enhance injection of CO2 and production methane.
Facilities & Infrastructure
- MD based numerical simulation of chemical reactions
- 4D X-Ray Microscopy and NMR Research Laboratory
- Multiscale GeoEngineering Laboratory
- Core Flooding, Supercritical CO2 Laboratory
- Machine Learning Laboratory
- Future Energy and Minerals Laboratory