UNSW experts are engaged in world-leading research to develop a strategy and scope for ACARP’s Australian Coal Association Research Program (ACARP) proposed coal burst project. We are using our expertise to deliver this in a structured, step-by-step process based on international knowledge and experience.
Our Competitive Advantage
- The world-leading research group in the rock and coal dynamic failures, with extensive theoretical and on-site field experience
- Advanced numerical modelling capacity using various types of packages for the energy quantification
- Advance dynamic rock failure testing facilities
- A unique and novel analytical assessment package for the determination of gas expansion energy contribution
- Development of coal burst risk management framework
- Enhancing the safety of underground mines and economic viability of operations
- 6 Australian Coal Industry’s Research Program (ACARP) projects, starting from 2015, from the coal burst research needs and strategy identification, coal burst mechanisms, forecasting and management.
- Several international collaborative research projects
Capabilities and Facilities
- Modified SHPB dynamic testing facility for both rock/coal samples and rock bolts.
- A suite of advanced DEM and FEM numerical modelling packages
- Rock testing facilities for different loading conditions
- The Australian Coal Industry’s Research Program
- A range of mines in NSW and QLD
- International research institutions (e.g. CUMT, CUMTB, USTB, CSU)