I am a Senior Lecturer in Energy Systems with the School of Electical Engineering and Telecommunications, UNSW Australia and coordinate the research work at the Real-Time Digital Simulation (RTS) laboratory of UNSW.
I am also an ARC Discovery Early Career Research Fellow. I was awarded my DECRA in 2017 for project DE170100370 High-voltage DC grids for flexible and efficient electricity transmission looking into the operation of Power Electronics in Multiterminal dc transmission systems.
I received my B. Eng in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece in 2007 and the Ph.D. in Power Electronics from the University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, Australia in August 2012. From 2008 till 2010 I was a Ph.D. student with the School of Electrical and Information Engineering at the University of Sydney and in April of 2010 joined UNSW Australia for the remaining of my PhD studies. I was a Research Associate (2013) and a Senior Research Associate (2014-2015) with the Australian Energy Research Institure (AERI). In 2015, I was one of the 13 Australian to be accepted in the Australia - China Young Scientist Exchange Program and in 2016 I was awarded a Next Steps Initiative Grant for collaborations with Chinese Partners.
I currently serve as an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics and IET Power Electronics - the main two Power Electronics publication outlets.
My research interests include:
- Multilevel Power Electronics Converters.
- HVDC Systems.
- Modular Multilevel Converters (MMC).
- Grid Integration of Large Scale Renewable Energy Systems.
- Pulse Width Modulation of Power Electronics.
- Selective Harmonic Elimination (SHE-PWM).
- Multilevel Converters for Renewable Energy Systems.
- Hybrid Multilevel Converters
- ELEC 9781 - Real-time Digital Simulations (RTS Lab)
- GSOE 9141 - Smart Grids
- ELEC 1111 - Electric Circuits
Current Undergraduate & Postgraduate student supervision
- Sub-module Topologies in Modular Multilevel Converters.
- Modular Multilevel Converters.
- Estimation of Capacitor Voltages in Modular Multilevel Converters.
- Solid State Transformers (SSTs).
- Real Time Digital Simulation of Power Electronics Converters.
- Breakers for HVDC Systems.
- Connection of Wind-farms to the network.
- Energy Storage Systems.
- Primary Frequency Regulation with Energy Storage.