Research in the signal processing group concentrates on audio, video and image processing, compression and analysis, as well as navigation and positioning signal processing.
The members contribute actively to standardisation processes and hold numerous patents in the areas of image compression, pattern recognition, image enhancement, signal processing and satellite navigation receiver design and signal processing.
The major research areas are:
- Paralinguistic speech processing: Emotion, speaker, language recognition; forensics
- Cochlear speech processing
- Cognitive load measurement
- Genomic signal processing
- Radar signal processing
- Image and video compression
- Image enhancement
- Robust and interactive media communication
- Processing of signals transmitted by Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) and other positioning systems