Tristan Harley is dual-trained as a lawyer and historian, and is a doctoral candidate at the Kaldor Centre for International Refugee Law at UNSW. He has published in the fields of refugee law and policy, including as co-author of Refugees, Regionalism and Responsibility (Elgar, 2016) with Penelope Mathew. He has also worked as a consultant with organisations such as the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the World Refugee Council, the Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network and Act for Peace.
Tristan holds a Juris Doctor (with First Class Honours) from UNSW; a Bachelor of Arts Advanced (with First Class Honours in History) from the University of Sydney; and a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Australian National University. He is also admitted as a practitioner of the High Court of Australia and the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
Areas of research
International refugee law, international human rights law, legal history, international relations, political science, refugee protection in the Asia Pacific, refugee protection in Latin America, refugee voice and participation
Guy Goodwin-Gill, Claire Higgins
Publications and presentations
- Mathew, Penelope and Tristan Harley, Refugees, Regionalism and Responsibility (Edward Elgar, 2016) (reviewed 19 International Community Law Review 366 (2017); 30 Journal of Refugee Studies 622 (2017); 8 Asian Journal of International Law 294 (2018); and 29 International Journal of Refugee Law 720 (2017)).
- Harley, Tristan and Harry Hobbs, ‘The Meaningful Participation of Refugees in Decision-Making Processes: Questions of Law and Policy’ International Journal of Refugee Law (2020) https://doi.org/10.1093/ijrl/eeaa010
- Harley, Tristan, ‘Global Compact on Refugees: Opportunities for Australian Reform and Leadership?’ (2019) 90 (4) AQ: Australian Quarterly 36
- Harley, Tristan, ‘Regional Cooperation and Refugee Protection in Latin America: A ‘South-South’ Approach’ (2014) 26 (1) International Journal of Refugee Law 22, https://doi.org/10.1093/ijrl/eeu004
- Harley, Tristan, Innovations in Responsibility Sharing for Refugees (World Refugee Council Research Paper No. 14, 2019) <https://www.cigionline.org/sites/default/files/documents/WRC%20Research%20Paper%20no.14.pdf>.
- Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network (lead author), Past and present responsibility-sharing arrangements for refugees in the Asia Pacific region (UNHCR, 9 July 2017) <http://www.unhcr.org/5968c2c67.pdf>
- Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network (lead author), Reflections on the significance of the New York Declaration on Refugees and Migrants for the Asia Pacific region (UNHCR, 12 June 2017) <http://www.unhcr.org/en-us/events/conferences/595e2aac7/reflections-significance-new-york-declaration-refugees-migrants-asia-pacific.html>
- Harley, Tristan and Penelope Mathew, Refugee Protection and Regional Cooperation in Southeast Asia: A Fieldwork Report (Australian National University, March 2014)
- Harley, Tristan and Penelope Mathew, Report from the Colloquium on Refugees, Regionalism and Responsibility (Australian National University, 22-23 August 2013)
- Harley, Tristan (and Harry Hobbs as co-author), ‘Refugee Participation, Decision-Making and the Right to be Heard’ (Conference Paper, University of Oxford Refugee Studies Centre Conference on ‘Democratizing Displacement’, 19 March 2019) (Podcast available at <https://soundcloud.com/refugeestudiescentre/sets/rsc-conference-2019-1>)
- Harley, Tristan (and Harry Hobbs as co-author), ‘The Meaningful Participation of Refugees in Decision-Making Processes’ (Conference Paper, Annual Conference of the Kaldor Centre Emerging Scholars Network, November 2018)
- Harley, Tristan, ‘Innovations in Responsibility Sharing for Refugees’ (Seminar Paper, Kaldor Centre Work-In-Progress Series, 22 June 2018)
- Harley, Tristan, ‘An overview of proposals to more effectively share responsibility for refugees’ (Paper presented at the Symposium on Refugee Responsibility-Sharing, Georgetown University, 16 April 2018)
- Harley, Tristan, ‘Responsibility Sharing and the Global Compact on Refugees’ (Conference Paper, Annual Conference of the Kaldor Centre Emerging Scholars Network, November 2017)
- Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network and Asia Pacific Network of Refugees (lead author), ‘Supporting the Meaningful Participation and Leadership of Refugees, Migrants and Host Communities within a ‘Whole of Society’ Approach’ (September 2019)
- Harley, Tristan, ‘We Must Answer 3 Key Questions on Refugee Responsibility-Sharing’, News Deeply (online) 25 April 2018 <https://www.newsdeeply.com/refugees/community/2018/04/25/we-must-answer-3-key-questions-on-refugee-responsibility-sharing>
- Harley, Tristan and Penelope Mathew, ‘Are Regional Approaches to Refugee Protection Really the Best Way Forward?, Griffith News (online) 21 June 2016 <https://app.secure.griffith.edu.au/news/2016/06/21/regional-approaches-refugee-protection/>