How to apply for postgraduate study

Before submitting your application, make sure you meet any entry requirements.

On this page:

How to lodge your application

Use the Apply Online service for all applications for admission to postgraduate coursework degrees, other than the Juris Doctor (JD), the Master of Teaching (Secondary) and all programs offered by the School of Public Health and Community Medicine - see below for details on applying for these degrees. The charge for the Apply Online service is $50. Alternatively, can download a paper application form from the apply online webpage. The charge for submitting a paper application form is $250.

Please note the closing dates. All applicants must provide certified copies of documents.

Instructions for Juris Doctor, Master of Teaching (Secondary) and School of Public Health & Community Medicine applicants

Applications are via the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) Postgraduate. Applications for admission open in September each year for commencement of studies in Semester 1 and in April each year for commencement in Semester 2. The main closing date for applications is the end of October for Semester 1 and end of May for Semester 2. Please note that the Master of Teaching (Secondary) are only available to commence in Semester 1 each year.

After your application is submitted

Once your application has been received you will be sent an acknowledgement. You will also be advised of any outstanding information or documentation and given instructions on how to provide this.

Notification of application outcome

All applicants are advised of the outcome of their application. An offer of admission is sent to successful applicants. A Conditional Offer will be sent to International applicants who have met the academic requirements, but have not met the English language requirements. In most cases a Conditional Offer remains valid for one year.

Accept your offer and enrol

Accept your offer online at MyUNSW. To accept your offer, please follow the instructions provided with your offer of admission. Enrolment information is available here.


It may be possible to defer your offer of admission to a postgraduate coursework degree to a later session or year. Requests for deferment must be made online via, or in accordance with the instructions on your offer letter, prior to the commencement of the nominated session. Deferments are subject to the approval of the Head of School and/or the Manager, Admissions.

Please note that the Direct Admissions Office retains successful application papers for approximately 1 year after the start of each session. If you decide to reapply within that time you may only need to lodge a request in writing for your application to be brought forward for consideration. If you decide to reapply after that year has expired, you must lodge a new application for admission and resubmit all documentation.

Please contact the UNSW Admissions Office:
The University of New South Wales
Admissions Office
Kensington, NSW 2052
Tel: +61 2 9385 3656
Fax: +61 2 9385 9437
Submit an enquiry

Mid-year entry

UNSW offers mid-year entry to a range of postgraduate coursework degrees. For further information please contact us (see details below).

Further information

Domestic Applicants: Contact the Student Recruitment Office on (02) 9385 1844 or  
International Applications: Contact the International Office on +61 2 9385 6996 or