The School of Banking & Finance, UNSW Business School is regarded as the leading finance school in Australia, and one of the top five in the Asia-Pacific region.
Our Research Impact
- Researchers from the School of Banking and Finance have been involved in thirteen successful Australian Research Council grants in the last ten years, awarded a combined total of $3.6M (2009-2018)
- UNSW is ranked #32 in the world (#1 in Australia, next rated Australian finance school sits at #63) in terms of publications in the top 3 journals in Finance (Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, The Review of Financial Studies) with 19 articles published by the School of Banking and Finance since 2018 (UT Dallas).
- Researchers in the UNSW School of Banking and Finance published 29 journal articles in A* journals in the last five years (2016-2020)
- The School of Banking and Finance has seen 96 higher degree research students (67 PhD and 29 MPhil students) awarded their degrees since 2010
The School of Banking and Finance has a strong commitment to research, learning, and teaching. As such, each of our academic staff members specialise in one of two areas: high quality, active research; or, innovative and quality-rich teaching. Members of our staff have been awarded large Australian Research Council (ARC) grants and, in several cases, have successfully been awarded multiple grants. Many also undertake active roles across the discipline, including key members of industry associations, editorial board memberships, internationally recognised keynote speakers, and present their work at top tier sector conferences and seminars.
To enable high quality, world class research, UNSW Business School and the School of Banking and Finance subscribe to a wide variety of datasets made available to academic and student researchers. Click through to view our subscription database.
The School has active fourth year Honours, Masters research and PhD research programs and has maintained quality annual postgraduate research enrolments over recent years. To date, we have celebrated the achievements of over 75 higher research degree students who have received their qualifications under the tutelage of our academics. These graduates have gone on to get initial job placements at top universities and corporations around the world, such as Florida Atlantic; New School of Economics, Moscow; London School of Economics; Monash; Commerzbank AG; Morningstar; and, NASDAQ.
We seek to maintain the highest international standards in both fundamental and applied research in banking and finance. Through this research we aim to aid the advancement, development and practical application of scientific research of relevance to industry and commerce.
We foster this objective in several ways, including:
- The publishing of research findings
- The organisation of a School Research Seminar Series
- Sponsorship of the Australasian Finance and Banking Conference
- Hosting of International visitors
- Supporting the acquisition of Australian and International databases utilised by researchers in the School.