This bulletin examines trends in the Perth ecstasy market (e.g. price, purity and availability), alongside trends in patterns of use (amounts being used, frequency of use) and reports of non-fatal ‘overdoses’ attributed to ‘ecstasy’ among a sample who regularly use ecstasy and other illicit stimulants.
- The Perth ecstasy market has diversified, with indications capsule forms are now almost as easy to access as pills.
- Ecstasy is at its cheapest since data collection commenced in 2003.
- While traditionally ecstasy in Perth has been perceived mainly as low to medium purity and fluctuating, newer forms on the market are perceived by most as high purity and stable.
- Unsurprisingly, usage rates for forms perceived as higher purity have increased.
- While non-fatal ‘overdoses’ attributed to ecstasy have declined in Perth EDRS samples, in the context of a shifting market marred by increasing deaths, it is critical to closely monitor ecstasy markets alongside patterns of use to help provide up-to-date harm reduction advice.
Jodie Grigg and Simon Lenton