Our history

A&D photo of building
UNSW School of Art & Design can trace its origins back to the establishment of The Sydney Mechanics’ School of Arts in 1833.

In 2014 UNSW College of Fine Arts (COFA) altered its name to UNSW Art & Design with the purpose of acknowledging its commitment to the breadth of contemporary creativity

For more than 180 years UNSW School of Art & Design - variously known as Sydney Technical College, the National Art School, Alexander Mackie College and the City Art Institute - has been committed to education, practice and research in art and design.