This information outlines how students can articulate and transfer between programs within the School of Population Health.

Articulation between programs 

The following Graduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas, Masters and Masters with Extension can articulate with each other. This means students in the Graduate Certificate can transfer to the Graduate Diploma or the Masters degree. 


Grad Cert 

Grad Dip 


Public Health 7368  5507  9045  9046 

Global Health



9048  9051
Health Leadership and Management 7360  5509 8901  8902 
Infectious Diseases Intelligence 5362  7362  8362  9362 
  • Students can articulate to a higher level qualification upwards from: Graduate Certificate > Graduate Diploma > Masters > Masters with Extension 
  • Students can also exit with a lower award from: Masters with Extension > Masters > Graduate Diploma > Graduate Certificate 
  • Students who are enrolled in a Masters degree can also articulate to one of the school’s double degrees and the same principle applies. Please note that students can only articulate to a dual degree program that is currently available in the school. Students cannot articulate to a dual degree program that is not available. 
  • Articulation is subject to the approval of the Program Director and achievement of satisfactory progress in the current degree program. 
  • Students wishing to articulate upwards are expected to have satisfactorily completed at least 50 per cent of the courses in the degree in which you want to articulate into. For example if you are a Graduate Diploma student and you want to articulate to the Masters, you must complete at least four courses (50 per cent of the Masters degree) satisfactorily before you can apply to articulate to the Masters degree.  If you do not meet this requirement your request to articulate will not be approved. 
  • Students are not permitted to articulate from one degree to another if the degree has been conferred and awarded. Please note students are not able to receive three degrees – ie. complete and graduate with a Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Masters degree in the same area. Students articulating between programs should graduate with one degree only. 
  • Students can only transfer between degrees if they have not been completed. Students who have completed and been awarded their program cannot articulate but may apply for Admission to the appropriate higher level program. If your application to the higher program is successful, you will then be governed by the credit transfer rules applicable to that program.

Postgraduate program transfer

The school allows the transfer of postgraduate programs from one approved postgraduate coursework program to another. To be eligible to transfer programs internally, students must meet the entry requirements to that program and have undertaken a minimum of one term of study in their current program and be in Good Academic Standing. To apply please submit the application for postgraduate internal program form.

Sponsored international students

Sponsored students (Australia awards, endeavour scholarships etc) wishing to change their postgraduate degree must first obtain the permission of their sponsor. Please make an appointment to meet with a student advisor in the Student Development International Office to discuss changing degrees with them in the first instance. Students should do this prior to the commencement of term to ensure the transfer can be processed in time. Once you have obtained the permission of your sponsor, then please follow the internal process outlined below in regard to transferring degrees.

How to apply for articulation between programs or postgraduate program transfer

To apply, please submit the application for postgraduate internal program form. Please review the Postgraduate Internal Program Transfer application and deadline dates on the UNSW Student Webform Portal.

If applications are received after the deadline, your request will be considered for the following term. 

If approved by the program authority of the relevant program, you will be advised by the student lifecycle team.

If you are articulating into a lower degree and have completed the requirements, you will be processed to graduate at the next available graduation ceremony. 

For further information on eligibility and how to apply for articulation and program transfer, see UNSW postgraduate program transfer.