Dr Ali Kashani is a Lecturer (Assistant Professor) in Sustainable Construction and Churchill Fellow in Construction Automation and 3D Printing with extensive experience in research, development, and commercialisation of advanced and sustainable construction materials. One of his research area is 'Construction Automation' via development of novel high-performance materials and techniques for robot-aimed construction including 3D printing. His other main area of research is sustainable construction materials for 'Circular Economy' including wastes valorisation, carbon capturing and mineralisation, low-carbon construction materials, sustainable concrete, and alkali-activated materials (geopolymers).
- Churchill Fellowship for 3D printing of houses sponsored by AVJennings
Selected major grants:
1. Alireza Kashani, Taehwan Kim, and Stephen Foster – Development of Sustainable Concrete with Glass Waste Mixes – An Innovation Connection Grant by XL Concrete and the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
2. Tuan Ngo and Alireza Kashani – Demonstration and developing VicRoads’ specification for use of waste glass in concrete – Funded through a competitive R&D scheme of Sustainability Victoria in partnership with Level Crossing Removal Authority, KBR, John Holland, Hanson, and VicRoads
3. Tuan Ngo and Alireza Kashani – Impact-resistant concrete safety road barrier with recycled tyre – Funded through a competitive R&D scheme of Tyre Stewardship Australia in partnership with Saferoads and VicRoads
4. Tuan Ngo, Alireza Kashani, and Ailar Hajimohammadi – A novel application of recycled glass in lightweight concrete – Funded through a Competitive R&D scheme of Sustainability Victoria in partnership with PrefabAUS
5. Tuan Ngo and Alireza Kashani – Novel applications of recycled tyre in lightweight composite sandwich panels – Funded through a competitive R&D scheme of Tyre Stewardship Australia in partnership with PrefabAUS
Sustainability in Construction
Waste valorisation and circular economy
Carbon capturing and minerlisation
Construction 3D printing
CVEN 4104 'Sustainability in Construction'
CVEN 9731 'Project Management Framework'