At BE we encourage our students to be proactive in accessing opportunities available to them during their studies at UNSW for professional practice connections and experiences.
- SONA (Student Organised Network for Architecture) is the student body of the Australian Institute of Architects. SONA represents architecture students from across Australia, organising national, state and local events such as Superstudio that provide opportunities for students to collaborate with each other as well as Architects and professional designers;
- Membership entitles students to be part of the successful NSW Chapter AIA mentor program that connects them to a mentor in architectural practice;
A member of SONA, BE Alumnus William Tran graduated in 2010 with a Bachelor of Architecture Studies. William is now working at successful architectural practice AMW Architects. We asked his thoughts about the AIA mentor program.
William said; “It is an opportunity for students to network with architects and to gain exposure to the professional practice of architecture. The mentor program provided me with the opportunity to discover professional design processes, learn about the procurement process of architecture, see upcoming projects and gain the always helpful advice and guidance on my own design studio projects”.
“Having been involved with the mentor program for two years, I have been fortunate to meet mentors from two very different practices giving me exposure to the diversity of how architects work. The experience can provide a new dynamic to a student’s university career as well as start the journey into a professional career. “
Scholarships and Professional Practice Awards
You can gain valuable professional practice experience by applying for a scholarship or when offered an award.
- The Cox Richardson Architecture Scholarship is available to a student who has completed a Bachelor of Architectural Studies and is undertaking full-time study in either Bachelor of Architectural Studies Honours, or Master of Architecture. The recipient of the award may undertake a paid internship with Cox Richardson.
- The Lend Lease Professional Work Placement Award is available to students who meet the criteria and have completed a Bachelor of Architectural Studies degree. The recipient of the award undertakes a paid 6 months (minimum) work experience placement with Lend Lease Design.
- Cox Richardson Summer Placement Award is available to students who meet the criteria and have completed Year 2 or 3 of the Bachelor of Architectural Studies degree. The recipient of the award undertakes a paid work experience placement during Summer (November/December to February).
- PTW Summer Placement Award is available to students who meet the criteria and have completed Year 2 or 3 of the Bachelor of Architectural Studies degree. The recipient of the award undertakes a paid work experience placement during Summer (November/December to February).
For full details of all scholarships awards and prizes on offer see: https://www.be.unsw.edu.au/future-students/scholarships
- BE aims to support graduates in their transition from university to industry, alerting them to graduate positions and industry events.
- For further information and support contact UNSW Careers http://www.careers.unsw.edu.au/