On June 7th The Party Secretary, Guangdong Province, Wang Yang and his delegation visited UNSW. Hosted by the Vice Chancellor, the purpose of the visit was to develop further cooperation between UNSW and Universities in Guangdong Province and to promote solar energy research in which UNSW is number one in the world.
The day began with a tour of the Photovoltaic Research Centre, led by Associate Professor Alistair Sproul and a visit to the roof of the Tyree Energy and Technology Building to view the installed solar panels.
Whilst touring the facilities of the university the Vice Chancellor and the delegation happened to pass by the MUDD Studio1 Design Jury in the BE Gallery. They made a visit to the studio, engaging with the class and chatting with some of MUDD Chinese students and Professor James Werrick.
Their tour of the TETB was followed by a roundtable discussion, led by the Vice Chancellor and the Party Secretary around strengths of UNSW and how we can assist Guangdong province in their quest to use greener technologies in all new developments. The delegates were at UNSW for just over an hour and UNSW was the only university in New South Wales which was visited by the Party Secretary. He is a key political figure and considered to be the 6th most powerful politician in PRC. UNSW was very fortunate to be able to host the Party Secretary and it proved a great opportunity for those on the MUDD program to showcase their work.
Party Secretary Delegation
- His Excellency Mr Wang Yang, Member of the Political Bureau of CPC Central Committee and Party Secretary of CPC Guangdong Committee
- Ms Zhou Xuan, Interpreter (PRC)
- Mr. Lin Musheng, Member of the Standing Committee and Secretary General of CPC Guangdong Committee
- Mme. Zhao Yufang, Vice Governor of Guangdong Province
- Mr. Li Feng, Secretary of CPC Shantou Committee
- Mr. Xue Xiaofeng, Secretary of CPC Zhongshan Committee
- Mr. Fu Lang, Director General of the Foreign Affairs Office of Guangdong Province
- Mr. Luo Weiqi, Director General of the Department of Education of Guangdong Province
- Mr. Guo Yuanqiang, Director General of the Department of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation of Guangdong Province
- Mr. Wei Jianfei, Deputy Secretary General and Director General of the Policy Research Office of CPC Guangdong Committee
- Mr. Chen Zhiying, Deputy Secretary General of CPC Guangdong Committee
- Mr. Zhou Kaisheng, Director General of the Tourism Administration Bureau of Guangdong Province
- His Excellency Mr Chen Yuming, Ambassador - People’s Republic of China
- His Excellency Mr Jeilong Duan, Consul-General – People’s Republic of China
- Note-taker (PRC)
- Professor Fred Hilmer, President and Vice Chancellor
- Ms Jennie Lang, Pro-Vice-Chancellor (International) (to attend from 9.30am)
- Professor Graham Davies, Dean, Faculty of Engineering
- Professor Alec Tzannes, Dean, Built Environment
- Professor Alan Peters, Deputy Dean, Built Environment
- Ms Alison Jenkins, Senior Associate Director, UNSW International
- Associate Professor Alistair Sproul, Photovoltaic and Renewable Engineering, Faculty of Engineering
- Dr Yinong Xu, Senior Lecturer, Built Environment