Derrick is currently a Scientia Associate Professor.
Derrick received his Bachelor of Engineering degree with First Class Honors in Electronic Engineering from The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) in 2006. In July 2008, he obtained his Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) degree from the same university under the supervision of Prof. Vincent K. N. Lau. He completed his Ph.D. in the ECE department at The University of British Columbia (UBC) under the guidance of Prof. Robert Schober in November 2012. He also served as a Senior Research Fellow at the Institute for Digital Communications (IDC) at Friedrich-Alexander-University, Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany. From 2017 to 2019, he held the position of ARC DECRA Research Fellow.
Dr. Ng has received several Best Paper Awards, including the IEEE TCGCC Best Journal Paper Award in 2018, INISCOM 2018, IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) in 2018 and 2021, IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC) in 2016, IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC) in 2012, the IEEE Global Telecommunication Conference (Globecom) in 2011 and 2021, and the IEEE Third International Conference on Communications and Networking in China in 2008.
From January 2012 to December 2019, he served as an editorial assistant to the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Communications. Currently, he serves as an editor for the IEEE Transactions on Communications and the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, as well as an area editor for the IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society. Additionally, since 2018, he has been recognized as a Highly Cited Researcher by Clarivate Analytics. His research outcomes have garnered over 17,900 citations with an h-index of 64 (according to Google Scholar, as of February 2022). He was honored as an IEEE Fellow (Class 2021).
1. Most Influential Scholar Award Honorable Mention, AI 2000, for my outstanding and vibrant contributions to the field of Internet of Things between 2009 and 2019
2. The UNSW Scientia Fellowship 2020-2022
3. 2018, 2019, 2020 list of Clarivate Analytics (formerly Thompson Reuters) Highly Cited Researchers, top 1% by citations for field and year in Web of Science.
4. Best Paper Award in INISCOM 2018 - 4th EAI International Conference on Industrial Networks and Intelligent Systems
5. IEEE Best Paper Award in IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2018
6. IEEE TCGCC Best Journal Paper Award, 2018
7. IEEE Best Paper Award in IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC) 2016
8. Goldener Igel, Publication Award of the Telecommunications Laboratory (LNT),
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2014 (2 awards out of 40 researchers)
9. Top Reviewer of the IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2014, 2016 (3 researchers were awarded)
10. Exemplary Reviewer of the IEEE Wireless Commun. Lett. 2012, 2014 (top 3% of reviewers)
11. IEEE Best Paper Award in IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2012), Paris, France, Apr. 2012 (1407 papers submitted, 620
12. IEEE Best Paper Award in IEEE Global Communications Conference, Houston, USA, Dec. 2011 (2923 papers submitted, 1070 papers accepted, there were 14 best papers awards)
13. IEEE Student Travel Grant to attend the IEEE Global Communications Conference, Houston, USA, 2011 (20 awards out of 146 applications)
14. IEEE Student Travel Grant to attend the IEEE International Conference on Communications ICC 2011 in Kyoto, Japan, 2011 (19 student travel grants, 1093
15. IEEE Student Travel Grant to attend the IEEE Wireless Communications & Networking Conference in Sydney, Australia, 2010
16. Faculty of Applied Science Graduate Award 2009, 2010, 2011, $ 4000 CAD each 17. UBC Four Year Doctoral Fellowships (FYF) - For the best PhD students (top 2–3 % of PhD student) in UBC
18. UBC Research Assistantship, 2008-2012 (graduate)
19. UBC Graduate Entrance Scholarship 2008, $ 5000 CAD
20. UBC International Partial Tuition Scholarship 2008 – 2012
21. Best Paper Award at IEEE 2008 Third International Conference on Communications and Networking in China - Industrial Special Session
22. Sumida & Ichiro Yawata Foundation Scholarship 2007, $ 40000 HKD ( ∼ $ 5128 USD)
23. CenWIT Scholarship: R&D Excellence, Center for Wireless Information Technology, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Oct. 2006.
24. First-Class Honors (B.Eng.), The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Jul. 2006
25. Best Final Year Project (FYP), Second runner up, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Jun. 2006
26. Postgraduate Research Studentship, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Sep. 2006 – Summer 2008
27. Dean’s List, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Spring 2004 –2005, Fall 2005 – 2006, Spring 2005 – 2006