Dr. Jason Xu is an Australian Research Council (ARC) Future Fellow at School of Chemical Engineering, UNSW Sydney. He is currently leading a research group in the Centre for Advanced Macromolecular Design (CAMD) and Australian Centre for NanoMedicine (ACN), with the focus on green and precision polymer synthesis using state-of-the-art polymerization techniques and organic chemistry tools. Dr. Xu received his BS and PhD Degrees in Polymer Science from Fudan University. He was awarded ARC Future Fellowship and took a Lecturer position in 2017. He was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2019. He has more than 110 peer-reviewed publications in high-impact journals (JACS, Angew Chemie, Energy Environ Sci, Adv Sci, Che, Sci, Macromolecules, etc), attracting over 8800 citations and an H-index of 52 (Dec 2021, Google Scholar). He has successfully secured >2M research funds including ARC Future Fellowship and two ARC DP projects. He has been nominated as Emerging Investigator by Polymer Chemistry (2018) and Chemical Communications (2018), and Pioneering Investigator by Polymer Chemistry (2021). His areas of research interests are green chemistry and sustainable polymer synthesis, precision polymer synthesis mimicking natural perfection, photoredox catalysis for living polymerization, advanced polymer materials for nanomedicine and bioengineering applications.
See more in Group website: https://www.jiangtaoxu.com/
CURRENT RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Green chemistry and sustainable polymer synthesis
- Precision polymer synthesis mimicking natural perfection
- Photoredox catalysis for living polymerization
- Advanced polymer materials for nanomedicine and bioengineering applications
PUBLICATION RECORD SUMMARY
GRANTS, HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2020 - Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project (DP210101904);
- 2020 - Selected as “Pioneering Investigator” by Polymer Chemistry;
- 2019 - Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery Project (DP190100067);
- 2018 - Selected as “Emerging Investigator” by Chemical Communications
- 2018 - UNSW Gold Star Award 2018
- 2017 - 2018 UNSW Research Infrastructure Scheme Grant (RIS)
- 2017 - Selected as “Emerging Investigator” by Polymer Chemistry;
- 2017 - UNSW Faculty of Engineering Academic Start-up Fund;
- 2017 - Visiting Professor in Nagoya University (one month) funded by Nagoya University-Venture Business Laboratory (NU-VBL);
- 2016 - Australian Research Council (ARC) Future Fellowship (FT160100095);
- 2015, 2016 - Australian Centre for NanoMedicine (ACN) Seed Funding Program;
- 2013 - Leading Talent of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Fund, Zhejiang Province, China.
- 2012 - The University of Melbourne Early Career Researcher Grant (ECRG) Scheme 2012.
- 2007 - Excellent Graduate Award of Fudan University;
- Guanghua Graduate Student Awards (2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006), Fudan University, China;
- Undergraduate Student Awards (1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001), Fudan University, China.
- Invited and Keynote Talks
- Exploration Australian Crossdisciplinarity Webinar on Materials, Energy and Health (24-25 Jan, 2022);
- Wutong Forum 2021, The Chinese University of Hongkong, Shenzhen (14-16 August, 2021);
- 11th Research Symposium for Chinese Scholars in Australia, Dec. 1, 2018, Swinburne University of Technology, VIC, Australia;
- Emerging Polymer/Material Technologies Summit (EPTS/EMTS’18), Nov. 4-8, 2018, Hanoi, Vietnam;
- 2nd International Conference of Molecular Engineering of Polymers (MEP-2018), Sept. 20-23, 2018, Shanghai, China;
- 255th ACS National Meeting Spring 2018, March 18-22, 2018, New Orleans, LA;
- Euroscicon-Polymer Chemistry 2018, March 26-28, 2018, Vienna, Austria;
- 10th Research Symposium for Chinese Scholars in Australia, Nov., 18, 2017, Monash University, VIC, Australia;
- Biopolymer Congress 2016, Aug. 4-5th, 2016, Manchester, UK;
- Professional Society Membership
- American Chemical Society (ACS) (since 2014)
- Royal Australian Chemistry Institute (RACI) (since 2011).
- Reviewer Service
- ACS Petroleum Research Fund (PRF), ARC Discovery Project reviews, ARC Linkage Project reviews, External thesis reviewer/committee, etc;
- Reviewer for a large range of journals: Journal of the American Chemical Society, Angewandte Chemie, Nature Communications, Chemical Communications, Macromolecules, Polymer Chemistry, ACS macro Letters, and Macromolecular Rapid Communication, etc.
- Editor service
TEACHING AND SUPERVISION
- CEIC8105 Advanced Polymer Science
- GSOE9011 Engineering PGCW Research Skills (Coordinator)
- CEIC4002 Thesis A
- CEIC4003 Thesis B
- CEIC9002 Advanced Thesis A
- CEIC9003 Advanced Thesis B
- Dr Jason Xu, Group leader
- Dr. Karen Hakobyan Postdoc, Jan, 2022-present
- Ms Mengnan Zhang PhD, T3 2020 (primary supervision)
- Mr Ruizhe Liu PhD, S2 2018 (primary supervision)
- Ms Kaiqi Pan PhD, S2 2018 (primary supervision)
- Ms Lei Zhang PhD, S2 2018 (primary supervision)
- honors students: Mr Jackey Cai, Ms Erika Mercado, Mr John Mok
Dr. Xu is looking for enthusiastic, highly motivated and self-disciplined students majoring in Polymer/Organic/Material/Medicinal Chemistry to join the group. The research project description can be found in the link: https://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/chemical-engineering/research/postgraduate-research/research-projects. For interested applicants please contact Dr. Jason Xu via email (email@example.com).