BSc(Med) MBBS(Hons) GCULT PhD, FRACGP
I am an academic GP leading the Discipline of General Practice and Primary Care at the School of Population Health, Faculty of Medicine and Health, UNSW Sydney. I am a highly motivated teacher, researcher and clinician with a passion for improving the delivery of care by primary health care professionals in people who are most in need, especially people with palliative and supportive care needs, older people especially those living in residential aged care homes, and people with advanced and chronic conditions especially cancer. I am interested in collaborative research, and in supervising higher research degree students including MRes and PhD.
Memberships of professional societies and organisations:
- RACGP (Cancer and Palliative Care Network - Chair, National Research and Evaluation Ethics Committee (NREEC), Clinical Examiner, Fellow)
- Australian Journal of General Practice Editorial Advisory Committee
- NSW Health Agency for Clinical Innovation Palliative Care Network Executive
- Australasian Association for Academic Primary Care
- Primary Care Collaborative Cancer Clinical Trials Group (PC4) (Palliative Care Engine Room - co-chair, Early Career Researcher Network - co-chair; Advisory and Scientific Committees)
- Australian Medical Council (Medicine, Population Health and Ethics Writing Panel, clinical examiner)
- Clinical Oncological Society of Australia (COSA) (Primary Care Working Group - chair, Cancer Survivorship Group Executive)
Available on request.
2021 Primary Care Collaborative Cancer Clinical Trials Group (PC4) Geoff Mitchell Rising Star Award
2015 Australasian Association for Academic Primary Care Travel Fellowship – University of Edinburgh
2014 UNSW School of Public Health and Community Medicine Award for Best PhD Thesis
2013 UNSW Medicine Award for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
2011 Alan Hodgkinson Prize for Excellence in Teaching (School of Public Health and Community Medicine)
2008 Australasian Association for Academic Primary Care Travel Fellowship – University of Queensland
2007 Alan Chancellor Award for Best First Time Presenter – RACGP National Conference
Primary care research focusing on advance care decision-making and planning. Primary palliative care research on barriers to GP involvement in palliative care and end of life care planning. Research in early detection and cancer survivorship in general practice. Chronic disease management including alignment of goals of care, de-prescribing and de-referring. Medical education research including digital health. Clinical supervisor training and development using digital technologies.
Broad Research Areas:
Primary Health Care, Ageing, Cancer, Primary Palliative Care
UNSW Medicine program including current convenor of Phase 3 Primary Care.
(Planned) Postgraduate coursework including Masters programs at the School of Population Health.
(Planned) Short courses in primary aged care and primary palliative care.