- Deputy Head of School, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW, 2009–
- Senior Lecturer, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW, 2002–
- Visiting Researcher, Institute of Science and Technology for Ceramics – Centre of National Research (ISTEC–CNR), Faenza, Italy, 2006
- Lecturer, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW, 1997–2002
- Australian Research Council Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Materials Science & Engineering, UNSW, 1994–1997
- Research Scientist, CRC for Eye Research & Technology, UNSW, 1993–1994
Overall research processing-microstructure-property relationship of advanced ceramics for functional applications and include: colloidal processing of electroceramics, compositional and microstructural modification of bioactive and bioinert ceramics for orthopaedic and dental applications, sol-gel deposition of functional ceramic coatings for electronic applications, development of functional (sol-gel) coatings on textile fibres, and ceramic coatings on biomedical alloys.
Courses are taught in the following areas: metallography and microstructural analysis, design and application of materials in science and engineering, ceramic materials, ceramic processing and design, mechanical properties of biomaterials, and materials industry management. Coordinator of the BE and BE/MBiomedE programs in Materials Science & Engineering. Coordinator of the Co-op Scholarship Program in Materials Science & Engineering.
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
Awards & Memberships
- Associate Editor, Journal of the Australasian Ceramic Society, 2006–
- Editor, Newsbulletin of the Australasian Ceramic Society, 1997–2000
- Member, Advisory Panel on Orthopaedic Devices, Therapeutic Device Evaluation Committee, Therapeutic Goods Administration, ACT, Australia, 2001–2003