Complaints FAQ

The University strives to resolve complaints in a timely manner with respect and integrity.

You can lodge a complaint here

What should I do before making a complaint?

Try to resolve the issue yourself More likely than not, concerns can be quickly resolved by handling the issue and finding a resolution close to its source. It’s encouraged to reach out to the person, Faculty, School or area concerned. For more information please see the Complaints Management Procedure

Lodging a complaint

If you feel uncomfortable or have tried unsuccessfully to resolve your concerns with the relevant person, Faculty, School or area, you can lodge a formal complaint here 

For more information please see the Complaints Management Procedure

Things to keep in mind

Don’t leave it too late Complaints should be lodged within 12 months of becoming aware of the issue. The sooner you lodge a complaint, the quicker the issue can be resolved. Records are more likely to be available and people who were involved are able to explain what happened. Remain respectful You might be dissatisfied about something, but please be mindful in communicating your concerns with courtesy and respect.

The complaint handlers assigned to your case are there to support you throughout the whole process.

How long will this process take?

For urgent and critical complaints, the complaint handlers assigned to your case will action the concern as soon as possible. For non-urgent concerns, the process can take up to 30 working days. Please allow up to 10 working days for acknowledgment of your complaint.

I’m dissatisfied with the process or outcome. What can I do?

If you are dissatisfied with the way your complaint was handled, you may request an internal review of the complaint handling process. Lodging a request needs to be no later than 10 working days after you have been notified of the outcome of your complaint. For more information please see the Complaints Management Procedure

Can I escalate this issue further?

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome or the way your complaint was handled, you can lodge an external review with any of the following agencies.

Please note that some of these external agencies have strict time limits.

Anything else I should know?

Please be aware that the University will not accept complaints which are: Vexatious or malicious Trivial in nature Lacking sufficient information to enable a proper investigation Too dated or outside of the time limits specified in the applicable UNSW policy or procedure. Depending on the type of the concern, the University may deal with a complaint under an alternate UNSW policy or procedure.

The University may refer complaints to other organisations or agencies where a complaint falls outside of its scope of responsibility and/or control or where it is lawfully required to do so. UNSW may inform the complainant of any referral.

For more information please see the Complaints Management Procedure

Withdrawal of complaint

You may withdraw your complaint at any time by notifying the University in writing. In most instances the University will take no further action. However, in some circumstances the University may act on matters raised in or related to the complaint or refer the matter to an external agency, where authorised or required to do so by law. In these situations, the University may notify the complainant.


The University will maintain a record of all formal complaints on the complaints management system, at all stages of the complaints handling process. Records may also be kept of local level complaints. The University respects the wishes of those wanting to remain anonymous.

Please keep in mind however, the University’s ability to investigate an anonymous complaint may be limited. For more detailed information please see the Student Complaints Procedure

Where can I find the Policies and Procedures?

For information please see the Complaints Management Procedure and the Complaints Management Policy.