Resolving your complaint 

In most cases, problems can be simply and quickly resolved by raising them at a local level when they arise with the person or area responsible. In instances where issues cannot be resolved by Steps 1 & 2, a complaint can be lodged in Step 3.

Step 1 - Talk to someone

Your supervisor is the primary point of contact for staff wishing to make a complaint about another staff member. 

If the complaint is about your supervisor, you should contact the next most senior staff member, who will handle the complaint or refer it to another supervisor / manager at an appropriate level. Alternatively you can speak to HR.


The supervisor's role is to handle the complaint under the Staff Complaint Procedure and offer to help you resolve the matter through a broad range of options, suited to the particular issue (e.g. facilitating discussion, approaching the other person on your behalf, mediation).  You are encouraged to contact your supervisor early, as this creates the best prospect of resolving the issue.

Human Resources Consultant

The role of the Human Resources Consultant (HRC) is to provide advice about dealing with complaints to the complainant, the respondent or to the complaint handler, subject to any conflict of interest.  HRCs will not normally have any role in handling the complaint other than in an advisory capacity. 

Step 2 - Speak to a University Complaint Officer

If you would like advice on your options under the Staff Complaint Procedure, or you are unsure about whether or not to make a complaint, you should contact a University Complaint Officer.

Their role is to provide information about options for making a complaint under the procedure and to facilitate a better understanding of how the procedure operates. They can assist to identify how the processes and actions in the procedure might apply to a situation, subject to any conflict of interest.

The University Complaint Officers do not manage or investigate complaints and are not able to assist staff beyond advice on using the Staff Complaint Procedure.

  • Diane Utatao

    Complaints Officer (external to UNSW)
    Ph: +61 477 739 247

    Ed Davis

    Complaints Officer (external to UNSW)
    Ph: +61 438 166 986

Step 3 - Lodge a complaint

If you have tried Steps 1 and 2 and your concerns have not been resolved, you can lodge a complaint here.

Below are some tips when making your complaint.

  • Be timely. The Staff Complaints Procedure requires that you must lodge a complaint within 12 months of becoming aware of the issue. The sooner you lodge a complaint, the quicker the issue can be considered and hopefully resolved.  
  • Provide evidence. To better support your claim, include as much evidence as possible. This might include copies of email exchanges, notes of discussions you had. The university will assess your complaint and may request more detail from you to assist in deciding how to handle the issues you raise. 
  • Be respectful. You might be dissatisfied about something, but please be mindful in communicating your concerns with courtesy and respect to the complaint handlers assigned to your case. They are available to respond to any questions you have about the complaint process.

The University respects the wishes of those wanting to remain anonymous. However, please keep in mind the University’s ability to investigate an anonymous complaint may be limited and you will also not be provided the outcome of your complaint.

UNSW Employee Assistance Program

The Employee Assistance Program (Benestar) is a confidential counselling, coaching and wellbeing service free for all for UNSW staff and their immediate family members. The service can help you achieve lifestyle, work, personal and family goals and assist you with managing work and life experiences, issues or concerns that arise from time to time. 

For more information about Benestar, visit the Wellbeing website.