UNSW Scientia PhD Candidate (2021 -estimated date of completion 2024)
Ebony is an early career researcher and has a passion for improving the health and wellbeing of older adults. She has extensive experience in gerontology research and geriatric assessment in clinical practice.
Ebony has been working at UNSW since 2015, holding a combined research and teaching role in the School of Population Health since 2018. Her research has focused largely on a program of research aiming to reduce avoidable hospitalisations and unnecessary treatments to improve the end-of-life experience for frail older adults, caregivers and clinicians, with a team led by Associate Professor Magnolia Cardona (https://swscs.med.unsw.edu.au/project/validation-cristal-criteria-screening-and-triaging-appropriate-alternative-care). Her research has had an impact at both a national and international level. In 2021, Ebony and Dr Magnolia Cardona jointly wrote, collected and collated a book which is a collection of real life stories from families, patients and clinicians encouraging and normalising end-of-life discussions (https://www.book2look.com/book/QWXA1Ke5xy) . She also leads a program of research around frailty and ageing through the lifecourse within both Indigenous and non-Indigenous older adult populations, with a strong focus on frailty identification and screening in older populations to improve health outcomes within tertiary, primary care and in the community setting. Ebony is the co-lead of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Research Theme at the School of Population Health. She uses mixed methods to aid in the translation of research into clinical practice.
Ebony is a Lecturer in the School of Population Health, and is the Master of Public Health Stream Convenor of the Aboriginal Health and Wellbeing Specialisation and convenes two postgraduate stream defining courses. Ebony also delivers regular lectures in the undergraduate Medical Program. Ebony completed her Masters of International Public Health at UNSW in 2013, and in 2020, Ebony received a UNSW Scientia PhD Scholarship and is currently undertaking her PhD at UNSW with her research focusing on frailty and dementia throughout the life course.
1. Lewis E, Radford K, Peters R, Cardona M, Howie A, Withall A, Rockwood K. An exploration of frailty in older Aboriginal peoples in New South Wales. UNSW Ageing Futures Institute -Seed Research Grant. 2021. $26,000
2. Radford K, Withall A, Ni She E, Cullen P, Lavrencic L, Lewis E, Anstey K. Collaboratory Ageing Meeting Place For Innovative Research and Engagement (CAMPFIRE): A living lab. UNSW Ageing Futures Institute -Seed Research Grant. 2021. $28,996
3. Peters R, Ee N, Ward S, Kenning G, Goldwater M, Delbare K, Rockwood K, Dodge H, Fitzgerald A, Lewis E, Radford K. INTERgenerAtional Clinical Trial In at risk Older adults and pre-school children (INTERACTION). Mindgardens’ Translational Research Scheme. 2021. $149,337
4. Lovell N, Sze-Yuan O, Delbaere K, Branko C, Harris M, Christensen H, Cohn R, Krishnan A, Welsh A, Liaw T, Anstey K, Betbeder-Matibet L, Larsen L, Wakefield C, Jennifer Y, Ivers R, Stevenson G, Guozhen L, Lewis E, Parameswaran S, Mohammadi G, GllegoLuxan B. Connected Health Apps and Systems (CHAppS) Network Laboratory. Office of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor UNSW. 2020. $192,511
5. Lewis E, Macniven R, Poulod R, Cardona M, Menzies R, Ni Chroinin D, Webster R, Liaw T, Williamson M. Identification of frailty in an Australian general practice database using the electronic Frailty Index: an exploratory study. SPHCM UNSW seeding grant. 2019. $25,000
6. Anderson M, Ivers R, Lovell N, McCausland R, MacGillivary P, Lewis E, Poulos R, Macniven R, Pollard-Wharton N, Poulos C, Eades A, Spencer W. Supporting Aboriginal People to Age Well in Remote Settings: The Dharriwaa Elders Group. UNSW Ageing Futures Institute -Seed Research Grant. 2019. $30,000
7. Macniven R, Delbaere K, Withall A, Radford K, Lewis E, Lovell N. Community co-design to develop and test measures to examine the health and wellbeing impact of Deadly Running Australia. UNSW Ageing Futures Institute -Seed Research Grant. 2019. $30,000
8. Cardona M, Lewis E, Asha S, Alkhouri H, Lovell N, Turner R. Electronic tool to facilitate decision making and advance care planning in emergency departments. Agency for Clinical Innovation. 2018. $85,330
9. Hillman K, Cardona M, Middleton P, Peronchik J, Harlum J, Wiltshire J, Lewis E, Nicholson M, Frost S, Turner R. Reducing inappropriate admissions and long hospital stays to improve health management for elderly patients. HCF Research Foundation. 2017. $150,000
1. Winner, Paper of the Year Award 2016
See end-of-life and ageing research works at:
I am on a number of committees and working groups.
My Research Supervision
Leanne Howard. MPH Research Project. Frailty in the Indigenous Lanscape