-Fellowship of the Faculty of Pain Medicine. FFPMANZCA. April 2010.
-Postgraduate Diploma in Perioperative and Critical Care Echocardiography. December 2008
-Fellowship of the Australian College of Anaesthetists. FANZCA. March 1999.
-University of Auckland School of Medicine, MBChB, March 1991. Overall result: A grade average
-Good Clinical Practice certification - September 2020 (PRAXIS Australia)
2018. Winner. NSW Health Awards for Collaborative Leader of the Year.
2016. Winner. Ko Awatea International Excellence in Health Improvement Awards. Award for Improving Patient Safety
2015. Winner. SVHA Quality Awards. Exceptional Care - Effective Clinical Governance.
2017. Finalist. Clinical Innovation. St Vincent’s Health Australia (SVHA) National Innovation and Excellence Awards 2017.
2015. Highly Commended. The Australian Council on Healthcare Standards (ACHS) Quality Improvement Awards, in Clinical Excellence and Patient Safety.
- 2019 Curran Foundation Research Grant $18,860. Stevens J, Tassie B. Hip fracture outcomes after fascia iliaca blockade.
- 2018. University of Newcastle pilot grant $4,806 . Stevens J, Collins A, Duff J, Jones S, Sutherland J, De Wright M. A multi-centre, prospective, observational cohort study to determine the prevalence and risk of delayed opioid cessation after major orthopaedic surgery
- 2017. Inspired to Care Grant $5000. Stevens J, Marples R. Reducing the impact of delirium in our surgical patients…implementing the Delirium Clinical Care Guideline.
- 2015. St Vincent’s Curran Endowment Grant $52,324. Walker K, Ooi Y, Stevens J. Prospective audit of pre-operative iron therapy using Ferric Carboxymaltose for patients with iron deficiency anaemia undergoing joint arthroplasty on St Vincent’s Hospital Campus.
Stevens J, Fulde T. (2020) Pain management in the emergency department. In
Seventh Edition of Emergency Medicine: The Principles of Practice. Elsevier.
Publications in 2021:
1. Can emergency nurses safely and effectively insert fascia iliaca blocks in patients with a fractured neck of femur? A prospective cohort study in an Australian Emergency Department. Gawthorne J, Stevens J, Faux S, Leung J, McInnes E, Fasugba O, Mcelduff B, Middleton S. Accepted j Clin Nurs.
2. Increased opioid consumption following regional nerve blockade: could fascia iliaca block be associated with rebound pain in neck of femur fracture? Riley M, Tassie B, Gawthorne J, Hadzic R, Stevens J. Br J Anaes. 10 May 2021.
3. Impact of an Australian/New Zealand organisational position statement on extended-release opioid prescribing among surgical inpatients: a dual centre before-and-after study. R. Awadalla, S. Liu, A. Kemp-Casey, D. Gnjidic, A. Patanwala, J. Stevens, D. Begley, B. Bugeja, J. Penm. Anaesthesia. First published 5 May 2021.
4. Emma Blake, Justine Naylor, Sam Adie, Asad Patanwala, Jennifer Stevens, Bernadette Brady, Jonathan Penm. Rapid response to: UK recommendations on opioid stewardship. BMJ. 2021; 372:m4901
Government Agency Involvement:
2021 – current. NSW Health ANZCA/FPM representative Real-Time Prescription Monitoring Expert Advisory Group.
2020 – current. Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC). Topic Working Group on opioid stewardship.
2019 – current. Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) Hip Fracture Care Leading Better Value Care Clinical Advisory Group.
2019 - 2020. Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC). Peripheral Venous Access Clinical Care Standard working party.
2018. Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care. Third Atlas of Healthcare Variation. Reviewer.
2018. Agency for Clinical Innovation Opioid Safety Strategy Group.
2017. NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation Hip Fracture Evaluation Governance Committee.
2017. Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care.
Medication Complications Panel for the Australian Health Ministers’ Advisory Council (AHMAC).
2017. Clinical Excellence Commission. Anticoagulants Working Party.
College and Faculty Appointments:
Scientific Convener and FPM Scientific officer - Faculty of Pain Medicine, for FPM and ANZCA Annual Scientific Meeting, Sydney 2018. Combined meeting with RACS.
FPM Scientific officer:
- Faculty of Pain Medicine and ANZCA Annual Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, Australia, 2021.
- Faculty of Pain Medicine and ANZCA Annual Scientific Meeting, Perth, Australia, 2020. (This meeting was cancelled one month prior to scheduled date)
- Faculty of Pain Medicine and ANZCA Annual Scientific Meeting, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2019.
ANZCA Departmental Scholar Role Tutor for anaesthesia trainees, St Vincent’s Public Hospital, Sydney 2019 – (and formal project officer 2015 – 2019 prior to renaming).
Chair - Faculty of Pain Medicine Scientific Meetings Committee 2017 – 2021
Chair - NSW Faculty of Pain Medicine Committee 2018 - 2019
Faculty of Pain Medicine Professional Affairs Executive Committee 2017 – 2021
ANZCA Annual Scientific Meetings and Events Planning Committee 2017 – 2021
NSW Faculty of Pain Medicine Committee 2014 – 2017
Faculty of Pain Medicine CPD Committee 2015 -2016