I am a full-time Ph.D student in Management linked to the project "Identifying transformative policies to improve well-being in Australia", thanks to the UNSW Scientia Scholarship. I have researched through cross-disciplinary topics combining social, economic, and environmental sciences and operations research tools such as systems dynamics, agent-based modelling, and optimization models. I have applied in-depth analysis and systems modelling and simulations in projects examining Colombia's complex socio-economic challenges related to the digital divide, electricity market, and energy security.
I have worked as a researcher at the National University of Colombia and in an interdisciplinary research team at the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) of Colombia to enhance understanding of the digital divide across the different regions of Colombia. Also, I have taught as a lecturer at the University of La Sabana and the Metropolitan Institute of Technology, ITM, in Colombia. I received my BSc degree in Economics and my MSc degree in Systems Engineering from the National University of Colombia.
- Systems Thinking and System Dynamics simulation modelling
- Mental models
- Urban dynamics
- Societal progress and Well-being
- Energy policy
Growth mental models and societal well-being in Australian urban areas
- Prof. Shayne Gary
- Prof. Graciela Metternicht
- Prof. Kerry Humphreys
- 2021 Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo; Arango-Aramburo, Santiago and Larsen, Erik R. “Renewable energy penetration into electricity markets and its effects on energy security: a system dynamics approach”. International Journal of Energy Research. pp 1-17
- 2020 Arango-Aramburo, Santiago; Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo; and Larsen, Erik R. “Examining the decreasing share of renewable energy amid growing thermal capacity: The case of South America”. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. Volume 119, March 2020.
- 2019 Arango-Aramburo, Santiago; Turner, Sean W.D.; Daenzer, Kathryn; Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo; Hejazi, Mohamad I.; et al. “Climate impacts on hydropower in Colombia: A multi-model assessment of power sector adaptation pathways”. Energy Policy journal. Vol 128, pp 179-188
- 2018 Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo; Olaya, Yris and Rivera Gabriel. “Projection of the demand for construction materials in Colombia through analysis of material flows and systems dynamics” (in Spanish). Ingenierías Universidad de Medellín journal, vol 16, No 31 pp. 75-95.
- 2017 Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo, and Olaya, Yris. “Sustainability of the domestic consumption of construction materials in Colombia, 1990-2013” (in Spanish). Lecturas de Economía, No 86, pp. 127-151.
- 2015 Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo, and Vélez Gómez, L. Diego. “Fiscal effects in hydroelectric settlements: the cases of the rivers Negro and Nare basins in Colombia” (in Spanish). Semestre Económico, Vol. 18, No 38, pp. 137-160.
- Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo (speaker); Gary, Shayne; Metternicht, Graciela; and Humphreys, Kerry “Growth mental models and societal well-being in Australian urban areas”, Oceania Chapter of the System Dynamics Society. Systems Thinking & Modelling Symposium. 4 February 2022, Online.
- Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo (speaker); and Gary, Shayne “Using Analytical Equations to Represent Nonlinear Relationships”, 39 International System Dynamics Conference.
- Guzmán, Laura; Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo; Parra, Karla (speaker); Berrio Francisco; and Cárdenas, Sergio. “Public policy design for closing the digital divide in the regions of Colombia: an approach from system dynamics”, XVII Latin American System Dynamics Conference and XVII Colombian System Dynamics Meeting. 13-15 November 2019, Bogotá, Colombia.
- Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo, Arango, Santiago (speaker) and Larsen Erik R. Renewable energy penetration into electricity markets and its effects on energy security a System Dynamics approach. 12th Annual Meeting of the Environment for Development Initiative (EfD), Hanoi, Vietnam, November 2-5, 2018.
- Guzmán, Laura (Speaker); Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo; Parra, Karla; Berrio Francisco; and Cárdenas, Sergio. “Public policy design for closing the digital divide in the regions of Colombia: an approach from system dynamics” in Spanish), XVI Colombian Meeting of System Dynamics. 29-31 August 2018, Manizales, Colombia.
- Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo (Speaker), Arango, Santiago and Larsen Erik R. “Renewable energy penetration into electricity markets and its effects on energy security a system dynamics approach”. 6th Latin American energy economics meeting - new energy landscape: impacts for Latin America.
- Ríos-Ocampo, Juan Pablo (Speaker), Arango, Santiago. Poster: “Public Finance in rural municipalities in Colombia an approach with System Dynamics.” IV Congress of Colombian Economy, Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá.