About Master of Engineering Science (Renewable Energy)
The Master of Engineering Science (Renewable Energy) is a two-year full-time degree that’ll help you take your career in renewable energy to new heights. Designed for students with a recognised four-year engineering degree, you can develop job prospects through specialisation, retraining or cross-training with this Masters degree. This renewable energy specialisation suits engineers attracted to the renewable energy industry. During your postgraduate study you’ll undertake a number of targeted courses in renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Taught at Australia’s top engineering faculty, you’ll have the flexibility to specialise in one area or broaden your knowledge in other areas of engineering. Exciting and practical, this degree features complex, open-ended enquiry-based projects as well as a range of opportunities to help you become a leader in your field.
A postgraduate degree in renewable energy allows graduates to develop their existing skills or refocus in the direction of renewable energy technologies, systems and integration with existing energy systems. Flexible learning is a key aspect of this degree as it’s designed for students who already have a four-year accredited engineering degree. If you have a degree or extensive professional experience in a related area you can apply for credit towards this degree.
Why Study Master of Engineering Science (Renewable Energy)?
You’ll study at the School of Photovoltaic and Renewable Energy Engineering, a leader in world-class education and research. We produce internationally acclaimed research, working closely with industry to provide innovative solutions to the sector. The School was formed in response to the booming renewable energy industry. Our research and education programs are helping transition energy systems across the world towards clean renewable and efficient use of energy.
- Our research has produced world record solar cells for a range of materials and technologies
- Our academics are world experts in their fields and internationally respected and recognised
- We focus on translating research into practice so your learning is hands on and up to the minute
- Since 1974 UNSW is the world leader in photovoltaic research, holding the world record for the highest efficiency silicon solar cell for more than three decades
- Industry partners include Suntech, China Sunergy, LG Electronics, Schmid, BlueScope, Ergon Energy and Solar Citizens
State of The Art Facilities
We’re equipped for world-leading research ranging from blue-sky research to applied research at pilot scale level. The laboratories at UNSW’s Tyree Energy Technology Building have a range of deposition, etching, structuring, simulation and metrology tools to support our photovoltaic and renewable energy research. Our Solar Industrial Research Facility (SIRF) houses a flexible R&D enabled pilot line for crystalline silicon solar cells and modules.
Your Career Opportunities
Career opportunities in the renewable energy sector are almost limitless. Across the world there’s rapid growth in the sector especially photovoltaics and wind, the most low-cost technologies to generate electricity. With a shift towards more efficient use of energy, energy storage and electrification of the transport sector Renewable Energy Engineers are now more in demand than ever.
Upon graduation with specialised renewable energies expertise under your belt there are a range of roles graduates can pursue. Potential roles include:
- PE & RE system design, analysis and construction
- Policy, financing, marketing and energy markets
- Engineering consulting and project management
- Solar architecture, energy efficient building design
- Energy efficiency
- Manufacturing, quality control and reliability
- Research and development