About Master of Information Technology
The Master of Information Technology at UNSW is a 1.7-year full-time degree with the option to study as a part-time degree. This postgraduate degree at Australia’s leading Engineering faculty provides you with the skills to master the technology of today and create the technology of tomorrow. You’ll learn to foresee future technology requirements and develop applications, frameworks, products and services to meet those needs in areas such as networking, data mining, robotics and internet services.
You can choose up to two majors to further develop specialised knowledge tailored to your career. They include:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Information Technology
- Database Systems
- E-Commerce Systems
- Data Science & Engineering
The Master of Information Technology is suited to postgraduate students seeking a high-quality information technology education. The degree is designed for graduates with a background in Science or Engineering who want to build a solid knowledge of computing and information technology. It’s also suitable for graduates from a Computing or Information Technology degree program who want to broaden, deepen or update their knowledge. Depending on your academic background you may qualify for advanced standing and complete the degree in one year full-time.
You’ll study in a research-intense environment where you’ll be exposed to fundamental knowledge and cutting-edge advances in computing and information processing. Your study will include the development of applications, frameworks, products and services for growing areas such as robotics and internet services.
With this degree you can specialise in up to two research areas. These include artificial intelligence, bioinformatics, database systems, e-commerce systems, theoretical computer science and data science.
Why Study Master of Information Technology at UNSW
When you undertake a postgraduate degree at UNSW, you’ll be studying at Australia’s top Engineering faculty. We’re home to the largest cohort of engineering students. Our researchers and alumni are regularly featured in the annual Top 100 Most Influential Engineers in Australia list demonstrating our presence at the leading edge of this field.
You’ll study at the School of Computer Science Engineering where our academics are actively and successfully contributing to research in areas such as cybersecurity, software development and visual analytics.
When you study with us you’ll benefit from:
- UNSW School of Computer Science and Engineering’s research is internationally recognised with 1st CS Rankings in Algorithms, Artificial Intelligence, Databases, Embedded & Real-Time Systems and Operating Systems
- We have a five-star rating for employability, helping to guarantee your future on graduation
- Many lecturers within the School are world-renowned researchers in their field
- Our School is rated five stars by the Australian Research Council for the research field of Information and Computing Sciences
- We leverage our strong industry ties to improve our research, teaching and students’ learning
- Our industry partners include leading companies such as Atlassian, The Commonwealth Bank, Google, Honeywell, Microsoft and WiseTech Global
Your Career Opportunities
Graduates from UNSW’s Computer Engineering degrees are highly employable, thanks to our strong external partnerships and extensive international alumni networks. This includes valuable industry experience with small startups to large companies such as Accenture and the Australian Government Department of Defence.
You’re able to tailor this degree to suit your career ambitions with graduates equipped to go on and work in roles such as:
- Systems Analyst
- Information Systems Manager
- IT Security Manager
- IT Security Consultant
- IT Project Manager
- Software Architect