Whether you have been directly affected, are a witness to an incident, or a support person, you may choose to make a report through the UNSW Gendered Violence Portal. You have the choice to remain anonymous. The University will take all reasonable steps to respect and protect your anonymity. All information you submit is treated confidentially, except where the University has a specific legal obligation or duty of care to protect individuals’ and community safety.

You can report:

Current or past incidents 

An incident of gendered violence that has happened to you online, on a UNSW campus, in UNSW student accommodation or during a UNSW activity where you or the other person involved are a UNSW student or staff member.

Incidents that happened to others

An incident that happened to someone else who is a UNSW student or staff member. 

Incidents affecting your current ability to work or study at UNSW

You can report this even if the incident is not recent, and did not happen on a UNSW campus or in UNSW student accommodation, or during a UNSW activity.

If you require immediate emergency assistance, contact UNSW Security (9385 6666) or the Police (000).

If you feel you need to talk to someone right now by phone or online, you can call 1800Respect (1800 737 732). More details for on and off campus services are available here.

What happens after you make a report?

UNSW follow a trauma informed approach. This means that when you make a report, the way that we respond to the report will be informed by your wishes and instructions. You have control over what happens next, including requesting no action.

To find out more about the investigative process and support available to you, download our booklet 'Important things to know: sexual misconduct and gendered violence'.


If you have questions about an incident or would like to speak to a professional, helpful information is available on these pages.


While there is increased conversation about gendered violence many of us don’t know how it occurs, what to do if it does, and how we can prevent it. Here are answers to some common questions.


Find the right person or service to give you the support and advice you need. There are many people and services who can help you along the path to recovery from experiences of sexual harassment and sexual assault. If you are not sure what to do - you can talk to someone from one of the free and confidential services.

Affected by gendered violence?

Behaviour that amounts to sexual assault or sexual harassment is not accepted at UNSW. If you are a student or staff who has been affected by gendered violence, here is information about the support and reporting options available inside and outside of UNSW.