Rental accommodation

Most interstate and international students rent a property or move into a share house while living in Canberra.

Here are some key factors to consider:

  • do your research and view listings on rental/share-house accommodation sites (see below)
  • factor in the property’s location, distance to UNSW Canberra, transport and other amenities you may need
  • ensure your budget will cover rental bond, furnishings, appliances, food, utilities, telecommunication (phone and internet) and other necessities
  • be sure to understand and sign a Residential Tenancy Agreement or a Share Housing Agreement
  • understand you're committed to the property for the duration, as listed in the agreement
  • know your responsibilities and commitments, including any gardening and domestic duties in a share house
  • do not sign an agreement or pay any money before you have inspected the property
  • take a friend with you to inspect the property and be presentable for the inspection
  • it's likely there's an application process to provide your credentials and to register your interest in the property
  • not all properties are available immediately – check when you can move in
  • beware of scams.

Rental/share house accommodation sites

Below are some rental and share house sites for your reference. Please note this doesn't indicate the university’s endorsement of these organisations.

Once you’re ready to make the move, hop on a bus or the light rail, or organise a rideshare. Explore all your transport options here.

Contact us 

For questions, advice or more information, contact the Research Student Unit.  

T: +61 2 5114 5000