The University recognises the valuable contribution made by those who report wrongdoing and encourages those who are aware of, or suspect it, to speak up. Reports will remain confidential and can be made anonymously.

What is wrongdoing?

Wrongdoing is a broad term that includes a wide range of behaviours. 

UNSW's Report Wrongdoing Policy and Procedure has been designed to address matters of: “misconduct, or an improper state of affairs or circumstances,” as described in Australia’s new whistleblowing legislation. 

Examples of wrongdoing include;

  • Illegal conduct​, such as theft, illicit drug dealings, violence or threatened violence, and criminal damage against property
  • Corrupt Conduct (including fraud, money laundering or misappropriation of funds, offering or accepting a bribe, conflict of interest)​
  • Misconduct (including negligence, breach of trust)​
  • Serious maladministration​
  • Serious or substantial waste of public money​
  • Failure to comply with GIPA Act 2009​
  • Improper state of affairs or circumstances related to UNSW​
  • Engaging in or threatening to engage in detrimental conduct
  • Conduct that represents a danger to the public or the financial system ​
  • Conduct that constitutes an offence under a law of the Commonwealth punishable by a term of imprisonment of 12 months or more

If you have seen, or have reasonable grounds to suspect, wrongdoing is occurring at UNSW, we encourage you to report it. 

More information can be found in the Report Wrongdoing Policy and Procedure. 

Who can make a report of wrongdoing?

Anyone can make a report of wrongdoing, and the University encourages those who are aware of, or suspect, wrongdoing to speak up.

How and where you report wrongdoing will depending on whether you are a student, staff or a member of the public.


Current UNSW students can make a report on wrongdoing via student complaints


Staff, former staff, a relative or dependent of a current or former staff member, a supplier of goods or services to UNSW can report through the wrongdoing portal.

Member of the public

If you are a member of the public you can make a report of wrongdoing at UNSW through the wrongdoing portal.