Use data loggers and an inclined plane to analyse collisions of a dynamics cart with a barrier.
- Analyse various collisions and their elasticity.
- Measure and compare the impulse in different collisions.
- Investigate ways of reducing maximum force during a collision.
Links to Stage 6 Physics Syllabus Content
PH11-9/Momentum, Energy and Simple Systems:
- conduct an investigation to describe and analyse one-dimensional (collinear) and two-dimensional interactions of objects in simple closed systems (ACSPH064)
- analyse quantitatively and predict, using the law of conservation of momentum and, where appropriate, conservation of kinetic energy, the results of interactions in elastic collisions (ACSPH066)
- investigate the relationship and analyse information obtained from graphical representations of force as a function of time
- evaluate the effects of forces involved in collisions and other interactions, and analyse quantitatively the interactions using the concept of impulse
- analyse and compare the momentum and kinetic energy or elastic and inelastic collisions (ACSPH066).