Frequently Asked Questions

On this page you'll find frequently asked questions from students commencing in ADA. We've provided responses to help you successfully get started with us.

  • UNSW has six faculties, including the Faculty of Arts, Design & Architecture. Within the Faculty of Arts, Design & Architecture are six schools:

    Art & Design
    Arts & Media
    Built Environment
    Humanities & Languages
    Social Sciences

    You can learn more about our ADA schools here.

  • Course - A course (which you might understand as a class) is an academic module which forms part of your degree program. Each course equates to a certain number of units of credit (UOC) - often 6 per course. Undergraduate students typically take 2-3 courses per term which equates to 48 UOC per year for students studying full-time.

    Program - A program is your degree program (e.g. Bachelor of Arts) and it consists of courses required to complete your academic degree. You can find your program listed in the UNSW Handbook along with the courses that make up the degree.

    Specialisation - A specialisation is an area of academic focus (sometimes known as a major or minor) within degree programs. ADA has over 68 areas of specialisation and you can see the specialisations for your program listed within the UNSW Handbook

  • Course Convenor - This is the person with overall responsibility for the course. They may also be the lecturer for the course. The Course Convenor is the first person you should go to with questions about assignments, content, and exams.

    Lecturer - This is the person who delivers your lecture content (if your course has lectures). 

    Tutor - Tutors are responsible for your tutorials which may involve class activities, group work, and discussion. They may be a full or part-time member of staff or employed sessionally. 

  • The University’s academic structure is based on units of credit (UOC). Every course in the University has a UOC value, often but not always 6 UOC. Program requirements are partly defined in terms of the completion of a specified number of units of credit.

  • Full-time enrolment for one year is defined as 48 UOC with at least one enrolment in each term. Domestic students wishing to be considered full-time need to enrol in a minimum of 12 UOC each term, or 36 UOC across three standard terms with at least one course enrolment in each term.

    International students need to ensure that their enrolment meets their visa requirements. 

    Students therefore have the opportunity to take advantage of a flexible study load and enrol, for example for a full-time student, in 2 courses for two terms at UNSW and 3 courses for the other term. 

    Please ensure you are checking your UNSW Handbook and Sample Program Plans when enrolling in each term as some degrees and programs require you to take courses in a particular order. 

  • Please check to see if this course is available in a different term. Most courses allow you to join a waitlist so that you can be automatically enrolled when you reach the front of the queue.There is also a full class enrolment request form. Please note this form is only to be used for core courses where they must be taken in a specific term.

  • The Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a reference number which is made up of a combination of ten numbers and letters, that is free and easy to create and stays with you for life. If you are a new or continuing student undertaking study at a Higher Education Provider (HEP), or if you are graduating after 1 January 2023, you will need a USI.

  • If you've previously completed any of the units in the course you have enrolled in, or equivalent, you may be eligible for credit transfer.You can find out about credit transfer and recognition of prior learning here.

  • UNSW  has three terms each year, commencing in February, May and September, with an optional summer term each January. 

    Each term in the UNSW calendar has ten weeks, of which nine weeks (Wks 1-5, and 7-10) are teaching weeks. Week six is known as 'flexi week', no classes are held this week to give students an opportunity to focus on assessable tasks and revising course content.

    Each term has a study period and exam period following on from Week 10. 

    The week prior to Week One is O-Week (Orientation Week). 

    You can access the UNSW Academic Calendar here.

  •  The census date is the last day you can withdraw from a course without financial or academic penalty. If you don't withdraw by the census date, you are liable to pay the course fee.

  • Please ensure that you've accessed UNSW's Getting Started page and followed all steps outlined. Undergraduate ADA students should also access and read through their Onboarding Packs. 

    If you require additional support, help is available. Please contact the Nucleus Student Hub.

    1. Access and follow all steps on the UNSW Getting Started Page.
    2. Ensure that you have accepted your offer, enrolled, and registered for your classes.
    3. Access your ADA degree onboarding pack available for undergraduate students, master's students, and UNSW College Diploma students. Note - UNSW college students are recommended to refer to the onboarding pack related to their specific 'Diploma stream'.
    4. Register for O-Week Events.
    5. Log into Moodle and access your course outlines.
  • Required course materials will be listed in your 'Course Outline' which you can find on Moodle from O-Week. Your course convenor and/or tutor can also clarify anything in the first lesson of term. Resources may be available in physical or digital copy at UNSW’s Library or on-campus bookstore or from other suppliers. It’s a good idea to see if you can purchase any of your textbooks second hand. There is an on-campus second-hand bookstore but you also can look online for options.

  • Joining a club or society is a great way to make new friends, meet other people studying in your program, or connecting people with similar interests. Find a club or ADA society here