This part of the application comprises two parts. The first question requires you to provide a short video of yourself answering the specific questions. Upload the video to YouTube or other suitable online platform (it does not need to be made public) and provide a link to the video with your written answer to Question 2.
Question 1 (video upload, max 5 minutes) - to YouTube or other suitable online platform
- Why do you wish to do a PhD and how will it fit into the career path you envisage for yourself?
- Why do you wish to undertake a PhD at UNSW Business School?
- What do you consider to be the advantages and disadvantages to working in an academic career?
- Tell us about your strengths.
- If we speak with your previous supervisor or colleagues, in which areas would they say you need improvement?
(Please include link to uploaded video from Question 1)
(max 1,500 words) Please provide a statement of your research interests, in as much detail as you are able at this stage, including possible research topic(s) you are interested in. This will also enable us to determine whether it is possible to provide adequate supervision and resources to support your research (from Year 2 onwards). Your statement should include
- clear aims and objectives;
- a demonstration that you are capable of independent and critical thinking;
- a discussion of the issues you would like to explore (why is it important and interesting);
- a demonstration of some understanding of the background literature supporting your research interests;
- details of any research experience (including publications) you have.
Note: You are not expected to provide a detailed proposal, as you will be exposed to a variety of different research issues during the early stages of the program. Your indication of preferred research topics will not constrain your subsequent choice of research topic within the Stream you are applying for, once you progress to the PhD (2nd) year.