Falls from heights can cause very serious and sometimes fatal injuries. You must identify tasks that place staff, students or others at risk of a fall from heights and:
- Determine if the task can be performed another way e.g. cleaning roof gutters with a blower/vacuum attachment that can be operated from the ground.
- If heights must be accessed, the activity must have controls or systems in place to prevent falls.
The safe method of work for working at heights should include:
- a risk assessment for each activity
- development of safe work procedures for staff to follow
- appropriate equipment provided and maintained
- provision of training to staff if required.