UNSW Sydney was initially established as the University of Technology in 1948, and a Department of Mathematics was formed in 1949, with Geoffrey Bosson appointed Lecturer in Charge of Mathematics.
The School of Mathematics was established in 1951, with Geoffrey Bosson appointed Foundation Professor of Mathematics that year.
The University was launched under the name 'The University of New South Wales' in 1958.
In 2006, the School of Mathematics became the 'School of Mathematics and Statistics'.
Succeeding Heads of School, from 1960:
Pictured from top: Ian Hugh Sloan; Anthony Haynes Dooley; Bruce Ian Henry.