The Taste of Research program allows undergraduate students to work with a research group to get real hands-on experience of research.
Participating second and third year students work on a 60-day project with an academic research team in UNSW Engineering. Students receive an allowance of approximately AUD 6,000 (tax-exempt) for participating in the program.
The program is open to second and third year students enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program in Australia or New Zealand.
Students receive AUD 6,000 for a 60 days project (tax exempt). If the project involves industry engagement, candidates may be eligible to apply to have time spent on the project to count towards their industrial training requirements (up to 30 days).
Each applicant will be assessed based on academic merit, interest in undertaking research activities, and intended career plans. Shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an interview before being made an offer.
How to Apply
- Information on all available research topics and supervisory teams will be availble on Taste of Research Listings page from 10th October 2021.
- Contact and discuss the Taste of Research project and interests with potential supervisor(s).
- In conjunction with potential supervisor(s), formulate a project plan that includes the following:
- Project Title
- Project Description (what research will you undertake?)
- Suitability of Applicant for this project (what skills and previous experience do you bring to the project)
- Project timeline that clearly identifies the 60 days (full-time equivalent) that the candidate will commit to the project and the tasks that are expected to be undertaken over this period
- Deliverables (Note that all candidates must submit a 5-minute video explaining their project at the end of 60 days)
- Please download the Research Project Plan template here
Applications closed for Summer and Term 1 2022 Start
Submit a Project
If you’re an academic and want to submit a project for the Taste of Research program, please use this form