Learn about UNSW Engineering’s rules regarding non-standard enrolment in the following areas: 

  • Timetable Clash 
  • Late Enrolment 
  • Overloading 
  • Requisite Waiver 
  • Course Substitution 
  • Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) 
  • Postgraduate Internal Program Transfer (IPT) 
  • Cross-Institutional Study (CIS) 
  • Thesis Rules
  • Auditing Courses
  • Diploma of Language Studies

You may submit a request to your program authority if you meet the requirements outlined below. Please always include your Student ID in your correspondence.

Note: by submitting any of these requests you are confirming you’re aware of the UNSW key dates (including census dates) and the UNSW late enrolment changes policy. You are acknowledging that your request is not grounds for Special Consideration in the event you perform poorly and you are also committing to keep up-to-date with your academic record by regularly checking your academic statement through myUNSW.  

  • By submitting a timetable clash request to your program authority, you acknowledge that: 

    1. A timetable clash must not exceed one hour in duration.
    2. A timetable clash is only permitted between a [lecture] and [lecture or tutorial or laboratory].
    3. You intend to miss the lecture. 
    4. The lecture is recorded.
    5. If your timetable clash requires you to miss a lecture in a course outside UNSW Engineering, you should receive permission from the other faculty. 
    6. A timetable clash is never recommended and should be avoided where possible.
    7. You’re responsible for revising any missed content resulting from the timetable clash.
    8. You must ensure there are no assessments in any clashing classes or make appropriate arrangements with the course convenor, if there are any.
  • By submitting a late enrolment request to your program authority, you acknowledge that: 

    1. Late enrolment will only be approved in exceptional circumstances and you are required to submit your case with your late enrolment request.
    2. You’re responsible for revising any missed content resulting from the late enrolment.
    3. You must ensure there is no assessment in the classes you have missed or make appropriate arrangements with the course convenor, if there are any. 
    4. Visit our current students website for further instructions on the late enrolment guidelines and application process.
  • By submitting an overload request you acknowledge that: 

    1. Overloading students are required to meet the following requirements: 
      1. Have a University WAM of no less than 65
      2. Be in good academic standing
      3. Undergraduate students must have completed a minimum of 48 UoC
      4. Postgraduate students must have completed a minimum of 36 UoC   
    2. Overloading requires taking on an additional workload, above what is recommended by the University, and you are aware of, and take responsibility for, the risk associated with this.
    3. Taking on extra UoC may impact on your studies and results for all courses taken in that term.
    4. Overloading is not permitted in the Postgraduate Online program Cyber Security

    Note: overloading of Summer courses is not permitted, Students may enrol in up to a maximum of 12 UoC in Summer. 

  • By submitting a requisite waiver to your program authority you acknowledge that: 

    1. You are required to submit the transcript of the host institution if you are requesting a requisite waiver based on a course completed on exchange or cross-institutional study.


    2. You are required to submit the transcript and course outline (in English) of the host institution if you are requesting a requisite waiver based on a course completed in your prior studies.


    3. You are required to submit supporting documentation (e.g. resume), if you are requesting a requisite waiver based on knowledge gained in other experience (e.g., work experience).

  • By submitting a course substitution request to your program authority you acknowledge that:

    1. You can submit a request if the core or compulsory course is not running in a term and not taking it will delay your graduation or progression.

    2. The course substitution is valid for that one term only if approved. This means that if you fail the course that you obtained a course substitution for, you will need to enrol in the core or compulsory course again, if available in term.

    3. If you wish to complete a course outside your program requirements, due to career aspirations and/ or breadth of knowledge and you have no room to complete this course as an elective or general education, you are required to submit a strong case that outlines your reasoning for wanting to take the course.

  • By submitting an RPL (transfer credit) request to your program authority you acknowledge that: 

    1. You are required to submit an official transcript and detailed course outlines (in English) with your request. If your transcript or course outline is in a language other than English, it must be officially translated. Please refer to the UNSW documentation certification page for more information. 

    2. Transfer credit will be granted in accordance with the UNSW transfer credit policy.

    3. Credit must be granted for bachelor level courses (or equivalent) unless otherwise agreed with the host institution.

    4. If you’ve commenced a course for which you are requesting transfer credit and the census date has passed, credit for this course cannot be granted.

    5. You have reviewed the UNSW course material to ensure your knowledge is current.

    Postgraduate students: please ensure you familiarise yourself with the additional Postgraduate RPL Guidelines

  • By submitting an internal program transfer request to your program authority, you acknowledge that: 

    1. You are required to meet the entry requirements of the program you wish to transfer to.

    2. To be eligible for an internal program transfer (IPT), you must have undertaken a minimum of one term of study.

    3. For international students only, it is your responsibility to apply for a visa extension from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection if your program transfer is successful.

    4. Be in good academic standing. 

  • UNSW courses should be utilised to complete the requirements of a student’s program wherever possible.

    The faculty recognises, however, that circumstances may arise where this may not be feasible. In these circumstances, cross-institutional study in another institution may be approved. Please be mindful that meeting all the eligibility criteria does not guarantee application approval.

    Please note that courses completed on exchange are not considered in this protocol.

    You can apply to undertake cross institutional study when:

    • Undertaking the equivalent UNSW course when next offered would extend the length of your program.


    • Extenuating circumstances prevent you from undertaking the equivalent UNSW course. 


    • The requested external study does not have an equivalent UNSW course and broadens your knowledge in your program core. 

    Note: Free Elective and General Education courses are not considered for the purpose of CIS

    Your application for cross institutional study will only be considered if it meets the following eligibility criteria:

    • A undergraduate student has successfully completed at least 72 units of credit or a postgraduate student has completed a minimum of 50% of the units of credit necessary to complete the program. 
    • Your academic standing is Good (except in extenuating circumstances and with the approval of the program authority). 
    • The requested external study counts towards your program requirements.
    • You do not undertake more than 12 units of cross institutional study throughout your program.
    • You have not already been granted the maximum amount of advanced standing for your program.

    Things you need to know:

    • You must obtain approval from your Program Authority via submitting a Cross Institutional Study request before enrolling at another institution.
    • Please allow up to 4 weeks for processing. Any applications not accompanied by the necessary documentation (e.g. detailed course outlines and a weblink to the host institution’s webpage) will not be processed.
    • In addition to seeking approval from UNSW via this form, you must also submit a formal cross institutional application to the institution with which you would like to study. Be aware that acceptance is not guaranteed.
    • If you are concurrently enrolled at UNSW during the cross-institutional study period, the total UOC completed across cross-institutional study and UNSW should not exceed the maximum allowable UOC in that term.
    • The requirements of UNSW courses take precedence (e.g., with regards to timetable, assignments, exams, etc.). A clash in timetable is not grounds for special consideration or alternative assessment requests. You must ensure that you make appropriate arrangements if there is a clashing time between UNSW and host university.
    • There is no charge for this application.
    • UNSW Engineering does not include Summer Term as an expected term of completion for the purpose of CIS.
    • Free Elective and General Education courses are not considered for the purpose of CIS.

    Credit Transfer

    • It is your responsibility to provide UNSW with the official transcript from the other institution, so that appropriate transfer credit can be recorded on your UNSW student record.
    • Please note that online copies not submitted directly from Host Institutions may require further verification from the Host Institution prior to credit being awarded. You should allow up to 4 weeks for your transcript to be authenticated and credits to be posted.
    • Results from courses undertaken at another institution are not part of the calculation for the student’s Weighted Average Mark (WAM); only the credit weighting for the completed cross-institutional course will appear on the UNSW Academic Transcript.

    Students who are completing cross-institutional studies overseas (including for a short course) should visit the International SOS site to register their travel and ensure they are covered by the UNSW Travel Insurance.

    Register Your Travel

  • The purpose of the faculty WAM is to assist the faculty in making a recommendation for honours at the end of a student Bachelor of Engineering degree.

    A student faculty WAM is not calculated until the student have completed all degree requirements, including Industrial Training. The faculty WAM is calculated automatically from the results in a student program, there are no choices to be made, either by the student or staff.

    • Courses will be weighted according to the following:

    General Education

    Level 1 Courses

    Level 2 Courses

    Level 3 Courses

    Level 4 Courses







    Honours WAM calculation notes

    • The faculty WAM will not be the same as the overall WAM shown on your academic transcript on myUNSW, as the courses in your transcript are all assigned a weighting of 1.
    • For dual degrees, only the courses which count towards the Bachelor of Engineering degree are included in the faculty WAM calculation.
    • In the event of failure(s) in a course, the first mark obtained is used in the faculty WAM calculation.
    • Academic Withdrawal (AW) grades will count as fails (returns as 0) in the faculty WAM calculations.
    • The faculty WAM is calculated to one decimal place and it not rounded up or down for the purposes of awarding honours.
    • Courses completed at another institution either prior to or during enrolment at UNSW are not used. E.g. cross-institutional, exchange programs or courses for which transfer credit was granted.
    • The year in the degree when a course is actually taken is irrelevant.
    • HDR students can audit courses if they have written approval from their supervisor and the relevant course authority (conditional also on GRS approval).
    • Coursework students can only audit courses after applying to the program and course authorities in writing and receiving their written permission. Approval is usually only given in exceptional circumstances and must be before the enrolment deadline.
  • Students who apply to concurrently enrol in the Diploma of Language Studies will be required to meet the following conditions before Faculty approval is given:

    • A WAM no less than 65.
    • Be in good academic standing.

    Please Note:

    • If you are on a faculty scholarship, its duration will not be extended to match the change to your degree and diploma completion date.
    • If you are in a dual engineering degree, you should be aware of the consequences on degree duration.